Monday, January 2, 2012

Help With Prescription Meds

You know, it's absolutely heartbreaking when I go to the pharmacy to pick up a med.  Usually, I end up seeing someone that doesn't have any sort of insurance or program to help them cover the cost.  The prices on meds are just ridiculous!  Most will go without their meds simply because they can not afford them.  But did you know that the Pharmaceutical Companies that make these meds have programs that you can apply for to get your med free or low cost?  Pharmacies don't tell you this.  They don't have the time to.  I asked a pharmacy once why they didn't offer that information to customers that hang their head and walk away (as an older gentleman had just done before me) not being able to afford their $250 bottle of medicine.  I was told, "Because we just don't have the time and everyone would want us to help them apply.".  Oh my gosh.  Whatever happened to people helping people?  Sad to say, but there's not many in this age that has the heart to do that anymore.  After hearing that, I asked to speak to the manager and asked if I could come up with a list of the pharmaceutical companies that offer assistance programs for their customers...and explained that some meds can cost well over $1000 a month.  The look on his face was one of unbelief.  He told me yes, he would work with me on that and took my phone #.  Never saw or heard from him again.  I'll attempt again.  Perhaps it's a project you can do for your own pharmacy and community?  Sure would help many.  Again, I listed a few links under "Helpful Links" to sites that can assist you with a prescription med program.  If you're not seeing your med or pharmaceutical company in the lists, simply look at the company that makes your prescription, Google it, and you should find a "Patient Assistance Program" listed on their page.  Having prescription meds can make all the difference in the world and can help many stay out of the ER's and hospitals.  If you need help applying, ask your doctor's office to help you apply for the assistance program needed for you to receive your meds.

No comments:

Post a Comment